6 Things to Consider When Remodeling Your Kitchen
In our last blog, we reviewed ‘How a Bathroom Remodel Can Benefit Your Home.’ In this article, we want to talk about how a kitchen remodel can breathe new life into your home and possibly save you money! For many of us, the kitchen is the most used room in the house. It is a special room that brings together family for food and conversation. Since the kitchen is an integral part of your home—it is crucial to keep it functional and looking great!
So when do you know when your kitchen is due for a remodel? There are a few different factors to consider before jumping into a remodeling project. You want to have the best outcome that suits your families needs so you can continue to serve up delicious meals.
Here are a few things we think are important to consider before starting a remodeling project:
1. Timing of the Remodeling Project
The timing of any home remodel is crucial. There are a few factors to consider when deciding to start the project. The first thing to keep in mind is that a kitchen remodel can take anywhere from 4-6 weeks depending upon complexity and size of the kitchen. Before you jump into a kitchen remodeling project you should plan how to work around the short-term interruption without a fully functioning kitchen during the demolition and construction periods.
Additionally, this length of time could place you into a season that wouldn’t be ideal for remodeling. Typically, the best time to remodel in Wisconsin is from July to September. These summer months give you the flexibility to work around your kid’s schedules without worrying about school. Even though it is an indoor remodel, the weather changes can make it difficult to install things like:
- Air Ducts
- New Appliances
- New Plumbing
- Insulation, etc.
Overall, you should be aware of the time of year and the length of time before starting a project. If your project isn’t affected by these variables then you may be able to schedule an appointment whenever suits your schedule.
2. What Condition is Your Kitchen in Currently?
Do you walk into your kitchen and feel frustrated? Is it becoming more of a chore to prepare meals for your family? Are you starting to notice some of your cabinetry or appliances are no longer working the way they should? You may want to consider a remodel if your kitchen is no longer able to feed and accommodate the family.
There are other reasons to remodel your kitchen besides just wear and tear but we find most families take the initiative to remodel because they need updated appliances and additional space.
3. How Much Space is Needed?
There are numerous different life events that could cause you to change the amount of space you need in your kitchen, such as:
- Having another baby
- Your kids are going off to school
- You want to entertain more or less
- You have retired and need space modifications
- Or is the kitchen so outdated that performing the basic meal preparation is hindered due to functionality and performance of the kitchen assets
Life can change rather quickly so having the right amount of space in your kitchen is a must. Not everyone wants to clean a huge kitchen in retirement while others are expecting to accommodate more people. All of our homes are different and best utilized for our specific needs. At Bulski Building and Remodeling, our team works with you every step of the way so you can have your dream kitchen.
4. Is it in the Budget?
Working within your budget can be one of the more intimidating aspects of remodeling a kitchen. This portion of the project relies mostly on what you want/need from your new kitchen. You should ask yourself:
- What should be my first investment?
- Do I need new appliances?
- Should I put more of my budget toward hardware for the cabinets?
- What is the best material for my countertops?
- Where do I find the right sink?
- Can I finally install a garbage disposal?
- Have I washed the last dish and am ready for a dishwasher?
- Are there issues with the flooring that is impacting my family?
No matter how you want to design your kitchen, we are ready to help you find the BEST materials and choices for amenities. Reach out to our team today to learn how we can help you figure out how to prioritize your budget.
5. Are You Interested in the Newest Kitchen Trends?
Technology is always introducing new trends in home remodeling. Smart appliances are the new “thing” and can add something special to your kitchen. On the other hand, not everyone enjoys living in a technology-based home.
We think it is a great idea to evaluate some of your ideal kitchen technology trends and see if they fit in the budget. This is YOUR new kitchen so you get to choose exactly what goes into it.
Some trends we think are fun and useful are things, such as:
- Smart Lighting
- Smart Temperature Control
- New and Improved Stoves with Safety Features
- Refrigerators with Built-in Screens for Recipes
- Smart TVs
- Beverage Refrigerators
- New High-Efficiency Stove-Tops
- and more!
6. How Can a New Kitchen Improve Your Home?
As we mentioned, the kitchen is considered the heart of the home. It brings your family together in one central area to enjoy each others company. Here are a couple reasons we think a remodeled kitchen can improve your home:
- Increase the Homes Value: Since the kitchen is seen as such a valuable asset to a home, we see a remodel as an incredible investment opportunity. Working with the right remodeler is a surefire way to increase the value of your home if you ever decide to move.
- Improve its Efficiency: We all use our kitchens every day. That means they get a lot of foot traffic and contribute to your homes energy usage. Remodeling outdated fixtures in the kitchen and increasing/decreasing space can breathe new life into your kitchen. When all said and done, you will have a room ready to be used to its fullest!
Regardless of the size or the condition of your kitchen, we’re up to the task of helping you get the most out of your cooking space. We’ll do our best to understand your wants and needs for your kitchen and to deliver final results that will exceed your expectations.
Contact Bulski Building & Remodeling today so that we can give you an up-front proposal on the price of your kitchen remodeling job. We’re proud of the cost-effective rates and the personalized service that we render for the people of Muskego and its surrounding areas, and we hope that you’ll trust us to breathe new life into your culinary area.